Contact Us
Basket (0)   View
Forgotten your password?
News & Blog Find a Caterer For Sale Contact Us
The Nationwide Caterers Association
Become our newest member!

Temporary Events Notice

Get the right Licence for your Event

A Temporary Events Notice (TEN) given under the Licensing Act 2003 allows the sale of alcohol, the provision of late night refreshment or the provision of certain public entertainment from a specified premises in England and Wales.

When should you get a Temporary Events Notice?

TENs can be used to authorise relatively small-scale ad hoc events held in or on any premises involving no more than 499 people at any one time.

A Temporary Events Notice (TEN) allows you to hold a licensable activity at a venue that is not currently licensed, or to hold or extend activities your existing licence does not permit.

This would include, for example:

  • Selling alcohol at a village hall that only holds a premises licence to cover regulated entertainment

  • Providing regulated entertainment at a pub where the current licence does not permit this

  • Staying open late to sell hot food on a special occasion (for example, New Years Eve)

  • Selling alcohol after the hours your normal licence permits, for example, for a special occasion

  • An amateur dramatics group putting on a play in unlicensed premises

What restrictions apply?

Restrictions that apply to the duration of the TEN:

  • Have less than 500 people at any one time – including staff running the event
  • Last no more than 168 hours, or 7 days
  • You must be at least 18 years of age to apply for a Temporary Event Notice.

Restrictions on the number of TENs:

  • You will need a TEN for each event you hold on the same premises
  • You can get up to 5 TENs a year. If you already have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can be given up to 50 TENs a year

A single premises can have up to 12 notices applied for in 1 year, as long as:

  • The total length of the events is not more than 21 days
  • There are not more than 5 applications from any one person for the premises

If your event exceeds these restrictions you will need to apply for a Premises Licence, and if that licence permits the sale of alcohol you will also need to nominate a Personal Licence holder as the designated premises supervisor.

How long does it take to get a TEN?

Generally, you will need to serve the notice on both the licensing authority and the police at least 10 clear working days before the day of the event (if it falls on a working day - Bank Holidays, Saturdays and Sundays are not considered as working days for this purpose).

NB: This means that the day of receipt of the notice (by the police and licensing authority) and the day of the event do not count towards the minimum 10 clear working days notice that must be served.

For more information Contact Us

Call: 0121 603 2524 or Email

Mobile Catering Menu

Starting up as a Mobile Caterer Getting legal as a Mobile Caterer Mobile Catering Insurance Training Get profitable Find Suppliers For sales / Classifieds area Information Area Membership information & pricing Catering Testimonials

Mobile Catering Home Starting a mobile catering business Get Legal as a Mobile Caterer Mobile Catering Insurance Online hygiene and safety training for caterers Make your catering business work Find Suppliers Buying and Selling Area Mobile Caterer Testimonials Mobile Catering Membership

Follow us 
Follw us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram Follow us on Youtube


"I would just like to pat you all on the back for the tremendous work you do for us all out here. The cost of membership is minuscule in comparison to the heaps of benefits I receive and the help in all aspects of my work. Cannot thank you enough. You have me for life I can assure you!"

Andy Todd, Buen Apetito, Mem No 8045

> See more Testimonials

Latest News