Contact Us
Basket (0)   View
Forgotten your password?
News & Blog Find a Caterer For Sale Contact Us
The Nationwide Caterers Association

Pub and Bar Catering

Providing the public with food, drink and a social centre.

Pubs are often the focus of community life all over the country. And the inner city bar industry is growing every year. People need food and drink after a hard day's work!

Running a pub or bar is a full time job. But we'll take the hardest work off your hands.

Legal checklist for mobile caterers

Find out what you need to do to start up and operate your pub or bar legally.
> Click here and learn how to get legal

Happy staff means higher profits. Find out how to keep yours smiling.
> Click here for more information

What do you need for your inspection?

Find out what you need to get through your EHO's inspection and maintain food hygiene.
> View the checklist

Improve the marketing for your catering business

Marketing matters. Improve yours to increase profits with these solutions.
> Click here for marketing tips

Pubs and bars are high risk environments

Get Insurance

High numbers of customers coming in and out, dangerous cooking equipment and high numbers of staff make them so.

You should protect your business with various insurance covers - so that nothing ever has to get in the way of serving customers your delicious food.

Call 0121 603 2524 for your quote & honest advice

Tweets to NCASS from happy customers

Surely Not?!

Online training courses for you and your staff. Council-audited documentation to help you trade safely and legally. One place online to store all of your documents and send them to EHOs. Phone support whenever you need it. A logo that immediately makes EHOs think you’re going to be compliant. You couldn’t get all this in one place, could you? Yep, you could. Click here to find out how.

Join from just

per month

Join Online >


Find out more >

Want to chat about membership? Call us on 0121 603 2524

Popular links

Primary Authority - find out more
Find a Supplier

Fixed site catering menu

Fixed site catering home Online Training for Caterers Shop and for sales area Fixed site catering insurance Find a supplier Member Testimonials Become a member

Latest News

Are Tips Taxable

by Charlotte Anderson | Read time: 4 minutes | Jun 18, 2019
For many hospitality workers, tips form a percentage of their monthly take home pay and are an attractive incentive for those considering roles in the industry. However, rules on how tips should be processed and taxed is somewhat of a grey area, with many business owners and catering staff unsure of the correct protocols surrounding tips.

The bad news is that unfortunately, HMRC do consider tips to be income from employment. However, the person liable for the tax depends on how the business receives the tip. 

Who's responsible?
So for instance, where a business adds a service charge to their bill, there is an important distinction between mandatory and discretionary charges. Where the tip is mandatory and is collected by the employer via cash, cheque or card and subsequently paid to the staff member serving the customer, then it is the employee who is subject to PAYE on the tip.

Shared tips:
Where tips are pooled and paid out to all members of the business (i.e. bar, kitchen) in different percentages, at the discretion of the business owner, then that payment is subject to both PAYE and NIC by both the employer and employee.

Customer to Server tips:
In the situation whereby a customer simply leaves cash on their table as a tip for their water/waistress, then PAYE is not deducted from the payment. However, in this instance, it is the employee's responsibility to declare tips to HMRC so that they can pay income tax on the funds.

Third parties:
Where a business owner uses a third party to determine the division of tips between staff, then provided that the third party makes the distribution at its own discretion and the employer isn't involved in the decision, then national insurance isn't payable.

Imagine a mandatory £5 service charge is added to a card payment which the employer distributes - £1 is paid in PAYE, £0.60 is paid in employees' NIC and £0.69 is paid by the employer in employers’ NIC. Which means that HMRC receive £2.29 out of a £5 tip

Join from just

per month

Join Online >


Find out more >

Want to chat about membership? Call us on 0121 603 2524

How to start and run a mobile catering business